With an in depth knowledge of each unique child and strong partnerships with parents and families, we can foster the skills that will support their future learning in life.
We encourage the children to become independent, capable and confident by observing how the children learn as well as what they can do. We use the children’s own interests to motivate and engage the children in active and investigate play. We value the exploration of learning and the development of questioning skills and resilience.
Through our planning we focus initially on the prime areas of learning–
- Physical Development
- Communication and Language
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
As the children move through the Early Years Foundation Stage these prime areas are extended to include the specific areas –
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
Our staff plan for a range of experiences and opportunities that allow the children to explore their feelings and responsibilities. We reflect on and celebrate the differences in our community and teach that we are free to have differences of opinions and that these should be respected.
Starting School at Canonbury
We are delighted to welcome you and your child to Canonbury!
Our aim is to form a partnership with parents and carers to help your child thrive in a happy and secure atmosphere of play and discovery. We aim to provide a stimulating environment that supports the children to become active learners throughout school and beyond.
Click on the link below to watch our welcome video – a short and informative window on our Early Years:
Parents as partners
Parents are children’s first and enduring educators. When parents and practitioners work together in the Early Years setting, the results have a positive impact on children’s development and learning. It is important to remember that you know more about your own child than anyone else.
- Early Years staff will ask you regularly about your child and share information with you about their progress.
- Information from home about your child’s interests, achievements and challenges which happen outside school will be encouraged and valued.
- The part you play in their learning and the choices you make will make a difference to their future.
- Early Years staff will actively welcome your involvement, as parents, at every level
We use a secure ‘online learning journal’ called Tapestry, which allows two way communication between school and parents so we can share your child’s learning experiences with each other.
What can you do to prepare your child for starting school?
We have put together some useful documents and suggested books.